Baltimore SEO Meetup Last Night
September 24, 2008
This is the first event I’ve organized in roughly six months for this group, which was way overdue (I’ve been busy) but better late than never, right? Anyhow, we should get that back on track now.
We had a great turnout. I didn’t count exactly, but we were in the 25 to 30 attendee range. I think it was 3 ladies and the rest were a bunch of scruffly guys (myself included)… which was actually more gender-diverse than previous meetups. Poor Lori and Kathleen.
10 attendees kindly rated the event as a 4.8 out of 5, which is pretty cool. I also got a few emails saying all had a positive experience and the comments on the MySpace page seem very positive too. Its nice to see that sort of thing, as when I plan these I really have no idea what the turnout will be, the response, etc.
Some of the other local Baltimore SEO people in attendance were Joe and Adam, Matt Moran, Kevin Doory, Nirav Vakil, Danny Taylor, Mike Calabrese & Mike P from Groove Commerce, Craig Spurrier, Robert Carter and a decent number of others whose URLs don’t instantly come to mind. Oh yeah George Murphy has a nice writeup on the event too (update: as does Chris M.). Obviously I was there too, representing my Baltimore SEO Firm and other ventures. Probably 80% of the group was comprised of people who were into SEO on a full-time basis (or close to it), and the other 20% were local Baltimore-area designers, developers, internet marketers, etc. Shoot, we even had a PhD student studying information architecture. What a useful academic area as it relates to SEO!
Some people came to learn, to network, to scope out the competition, etc. Shoot some came to challenge others to see how they can rank for “Baltimore SEO” in Google. Last check the Meetup page rocked that keyword, though I’m in second 🙂
At the end of the night I think many new friends were made, as well as great connections.
Anyhow we stole the idea from the Charlotte Group (thanks guys) and it worked out very nicely. Basically everyone took 2-5 minutes to provide a bit of an extended introduction, and we mixed in a few questions and discussion items and after two hours everyone in the room now knew 30 other local SEO people in the Baltimore area. After that we headed down to the Austin Grill for drinks and discussion and most people stayed there another hour or two or so. I didn’t get on the road until about 11:15pm, which didn’t make the wife too terribly happy… but she’s understanding (I love you honey!).